Life at Santa Rita Abbey
Santa Rita Abbey is a Cistercian monastery, a school of charity and of the Lord’s service. We follow the Rule of St. Benedict with its balance of prayer, work and sacred reading shared in a monastic community.
It is a place where love of God, neighbor, and all creation come together in a life of prayer, sincere conversion, humble service, simplicity and joy.
We were founded in 1972 in the high desert of Southern Arizona, a land of wide vistas and large sky where our monastery nestles in the foothills of the Santa Rita Mountains.
- Age: Our age limit is twenty-one through forty.
- Health: The life requires solid physical and mental health.
- Community: Though we live in a general atmosphere of quietude, the life is highly communal, and the ability to live and work together is essential.
- Responsibilities: A woman should be free of debt and the necessity to care for others.
- Capacity for maturity: The life requires growth in maturity of judgment and choice. A strong and reliable sense of humor is essential.
- Converts: A person needs two or three years of living her faith outside of a monastic structure, in the environment of the Catholic tradition.
Do You Have Questions?
If you should like to ask questions, write to Sr. Victoria via our email address, email@example.com, use the contact form above, or our US Postal address: Sr Victoria at Santa Rita Abbey, 14200 E Fish Canyon Road, Sonoita, AZ 85637-6545. We’d love to hear from you.
Find Answers >